The United States is a land of diverse landscapes, from towering mountains to vast deserts and pristine coastlines. Nestled in the heart of the Adirondack Mountains in upstate New York lies a geological marvel waiting to be discovered – Ausable Chasm. Known as the “Grand Canyon of the Adirondacks,” Ausable Chasm offers a mesmerizing adventure for nature enthusiasts and anyone seeking to connect with the great outdoors. In this blog post, we will explore all aspects of visiting this place, including accommodation, dining, activities, transportation, and more.
Getting There- Ausable Chasm
Before embarking on your Ausable Chasm adventure, you need to know how to get there. The chasm is conveniently located near the town of Keeseville, New York, about an hour’s drive from Plattsburgh and less than two hours from the bustling city of Montreal in Canada. If you’re flying in, Plattsburgh International Airport is the nearest, with options for car rentals to help you navigate the area. Keep in mind that the scenic drive to the chasm is an integral part of the experience, so prepare to be captivated by the journey itself.
Weather and Best Time to Visit
Ausable Chasm is a year-round destination, each season offering its unique charm. Spring and summer (May to September) are ideal for those who enjoy warm weather and lush foliage. Fall (October) is particularly enchanting with the vibrant colors of changing leaves. Winter (November to April) welcomes those who love a snowy adventure, though some attractions may be limited during this season. Pack accordingly based on the time of year, and always check the weather forecast before your trip.
Where to Stay?
Ausable Chasm Campground: For a true outdoorsy experience, you can camp within the Ausable Chasm Campground. They offer a range of campsites, from tent sites to RV hookups, and even cabins for those who prefer a little more comfort. Wake up to the soothing sounds of the Ausable River and the fresh scent of the forest.
Local Hotels and Inns: If camping is not your cup of tea, the nearby towns of Keeseville and Plattsburgh offer a selection of hotels and inns. These accommodations provide a comfortable stay with various amenities to suit your preferences and budget.
Exploring the Chasm
1. Guided Tours: Exploring Ausable Chasm is made easy with guided tours. These knowledgeable guides will lead you through the chasm, sharing the fascinating history and geological features that make this place so remarkable. The Adventure Trail tour involves walking and climbing, while the Classic Tour is a more leisurely walk. Both offer stunning views and unforgettable experiences.
2. Tubing and Rafting: For those seeking an adrenaline rush, tubing and rafting on the Ausable River are must-try activities. It’s a fantastic way to immerse yourself in the rugged beauty of the chasm while enjoying a little adventure.
3. Hiking and Nature Trails: The surrounding area offers several hiking and nature trails for visitors who prefer to explore on their own. These trails provide opportunities for bird watching, wildlife spotting, and tranquil strolls amidst lush greenery.
4. Rock Climbing: For the more adventurous souls, rock climbing is an option that shouldn’t be missed. Ausable Chasm provides climbing opportunities for all skill levels, from beginners to advanced climbers.
5. Photography: The chasm is a photographer’s dream. Capture the awe-inspiring beauty of the chasm, the towering cliffs, and the cascading waterfalls. Early morning or late afternoon offers the best lighting for photography.
1. Are there age or fitness restrictions for the guided tours?
The Classic Tour is suitable for all ages and fitness levels. The Adventure Trail tour may require a moderate level of fitness and is recommended for those aged 8 and above.
2. Can I bring my own tube or raft for tubing and rafting?
You can bring your own tube, but rafts and guided tubing tours are provided on-site.
3. Are pets allowed in the chasm?
No, pets are not allowed in the chasm to ensure the safety and comfort of all visitors.
4. Is Ausable Chasm accessible for those with mobility issues?
While the Classic Tour is more accessible, some parts of the chasm can be challenging for those with mobility issues. It’s advisable to contact the chasm staff for detailed accessibility information.
Ausable Chasm Reviews:
Ausable Chasm is a natural wonder that showcases the power and beauty of Mother Nature. Whether you’re an adventurer seeking excitement or a nature lover looking for tranquility, this destination has something for everyone. The combination of breathtaking landscapes, thrilling activities, and the opportunity to reconnect with nature make this hidden gem a must-visit. So, pack your bags, lace up your hiking boots, and prepare to be awe-struck by the grandeur of Ausable Chasm. Whether you’re exploring the deep chasm or simply taking in the scenic beauty, this is a place you’ll remember for a lifetime.